Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wired News: Eat, Sleep, Work, Consume, Die

I think technology's great. Of course I do...I am a geek. If it wasn't for technology, I would probably have no marketable skills at this current time. But, at the same time, I am human. I like to think that I get along well with people. Sure, I like to go and play Madden '06 with my boys but the best part is hanging with my boys. I could play Madden '06 in my house and lock myself in...but I go and play for the camaraderie. Big ups to my peeps.

Tony Long, who refers to himself as "The Luddite" and he works at Wired...go figure...wrote an article about consumption and how it has overcome life as we know it.


Just because technology makes it possible for us to work 10 times faster than we used to doesn't mean we should do it. The body may be able to withstand the strain -- for a while -- but the spirit isn't meant to flail away uselessly on the commercial gerbil wheel. The boys in corporate don't want you to hear this because the more they can suck out of you, the lower their costs and the higher their profit margin. And profit is god, after all. (Genuflect here, if you must.)

But what's good for them isn't necessarily good for you, no matter how much filthy lucre they throw your way.



Just because you can work from almost anywhere, doesn't mean you should. I think that the line between work and play has blurred but I am not sure if that's a good thing for the worker or the employer.

Comments?

No comments: